Is there a difference between mindfulness and meditation? Often the two are intertwined, as in mindful meditation, but in actuality there are a few subtle yet significant differences.
Meditation is a more formalized practice. Typically, it is done for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes with your focus primarily on your breath.
Mindfulness is simply awareness with your focus primarily in the current moment. It can be done anytime and anywhere.
Both mindfulness and meditation have been shown to have physical and mental health benefits. Here are some surprising benefits:
- Better sleep
- Make progress toward weight loss goals
- Lower stress levels
- Decrease loneliness in seniors
- Banish temporary negative feelings
- Improve attention
- Manage chronic pain
- Help prevent depression relapse
- Reduce anxiety
- Increase brain gray matter
- Alleviate gastrointestinal difficulties
- Lower blood pressure
- Help with ADHD
What is your experience with mindfulness or meditation?